Tuesday, June 14, 2016

STAR WARS: RETURN OF THE JEDI (1983)

Country: U.S.A.
Genre(s): Action / Adventure / Fantasy / Sci-Fi
Director: Richard Marquand
Cast: Mark Hamill / Carrie Fisher / Harrison Ford



Plot
Learning of the construction of a new Death Star, the rebels mount a new offensive strike, while Luke Skywalker prepares for a final confrontation with his father.


Thoughts

*So I am done separating these entries into “What I Liked” and “What I Didn’t Like” sections and will be changing it to a more inclusive, cohesive section concerning my overall thoughts about the film.*

When I was a kid, “Return of the Jedi” was my favorite of the “Star Wars” trilogy, for several reasons.  First was the Rancor, one of the most frighteningly cool creatures in the George Lucas/Jim Henson menagerie.  I liked all the forest fun (ropes, bows and arrows, slings, and speeder bikes) on Endor.  Also, Jabba the Hut and the Emperor made nice additions as repulsive baddies.  For the most part, though, it just seemed that I watched “Return of the Jedi” much more often than the other two entrants in the series that were out at the time.  I was never the “Star Wars” nut that a lot of other kids of my generation were, but I liked all three movies, this one the most; back then, anyway.

Many say that the ewoks ruined this film.  I enjoyed them as a kid and even remember watching the Saturday morning cartoon (I still have the first issue of the “Ewoks” comic book series).  Now, I understand why some die-hard fans find them annoying or childish.  Nonetheless, they are an important reminder not to take these movies too damn seriously, a reminder many people could use. 

Setting the ewoks issue aside, “Jedi” has a lot going for it.  The effects are improved even over the already impressive “Empire Strikes Back,” allowing the sets to get more elaborate and detailed.  The characters, machines, and space ships move more fluidly and with more thrilling variety and speed through these sets.  Thus the action in this film is much more dense, fun, and impressive than in either of its predecessors.  Of course, the visuals aren’t quite comparable with the breakthroughs CGI would give us in the following two decades, but they were nonetheless stunning and convincing for viewers in the early 1980s.

The improved look and action thankfully helps distract the viewer for musing too long on just how horrendous the films dialogue can be.  One cliché or trite line follows another in almost every scene where anyone does any talking.  At least many of the comedic lines are given to Han Solo, which allows Harrison Ford’s acting ability to soften the blow of some of the movie’s more cringe-worthy moments.  But Mark Hamill is still an absolute hack who should’ve have never been cast as the lead in the first film.  Any shot meant to capture Luke’s emotional turmoil in this movie is almost as unbearable as Chewbacca’s incessant whining was in “Empire.”

I know that many consider “Jedi” to be the worst of the original trilogy.  But if I’m being honest, I can’t really pick my favorite or least favorite among the original trilogy.  Despite Hamill, they all accomplish what they set out to do pretty impressively.  “Jedi” may not end on the down note that so many admire about “Empire,” but the closing entry in a trilogy like this simply can’t end that way.  And “Jedi” is every bit the escapist popcorn flick, if not moreso, that its predecessors was.


Most Memorable Scene
The rancor.  Loved that beast.



My Rating: 5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment