Thursday, August 7, 2014

GHOSTBUSTERS (1984)

Country: U.S.A.
Genre(s): Comedy
Director: Ivan Reitman
Cast: Bill Murray/ Dan Aykroyd / Sigourney Weaver


Plot
After investigating a ghost sighting, three out-of-work scientists go into business as Ghostbusters.  Initially dismissed by the public as quacks, they soon become heroes when an ancient deity attacks their native New York City.


What I Liked
As was the case for so many people of my generation, this movie was one of the cinematic cornerstones (along with, for me anyway, “Superman,” “Batman,” “UHF,” and the Indiana Jones films) of my childhood.  I spent countless afternoons watching this movie, watching its cartoon spin off, running around in my best friend's backyard dressed as a Ghostbuster, or playing in my room with my Ghostbuster action figures.  So maybe nostalgia has got me somewhat biased here, but I can't imagine few people of any generation could dispute that this movie is still thoroughly enjoyable thirty years after its initial release in theaters.

Bill Murray was my favorite part about this movie as a kid and today he still is.  Screenwriters and co-stars Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis left plenty of room in the script for Bill to adlib, which turned out to be a genius decision.  The guy is the undisputed world champion of deadpan and his Dr. Peter Venkman easily steals the show from the others.  Back in the 1980s I admired his cocky attitude and funny lines; today it is his straight-faced delivery that kills me.

Bill’s poker-faced approach is made even more funny by the outrageous antics happening all around him.  Like no other film that I know of, “Ghostbusters” successfully blends goofball comedy with blockbuster special effects.  Explosions, ray guns, earthquakes, demons, a wonderfully dated soundtrack, and one towering Stay Puft Marshmallow Man (definitely the best movie set piece of the decade, right?); it’s all done with such bombastic drama and cheeky gusto that laughing is simply unavoidable.  To put it simply, “Ghostbusters” is still more fun than almost any other movie you will ever see.


What I Didn’t Like
If there is anything at all that you don’t like about this movie, you have no soul.


Most Memorable Scene
Oh wow, I’ve given myself a tough dilemma here.  Of all the movie’s I’ve reviewed thus far, this is probably the toughest to pick just one scene, but I’m going to force myself.

Obviously the rooftop/Stay Puft climax pulled out all the stops on the “Wow” factor, but really the scene that always pops up in my head first whenever “Ghostbusters” is mentioned, is the one where Peter, Ray, and Egon all visit the library in the beginning.  It’s a hilarious introduction to the characters in a suspenseful setting and ends with the most frightening ghost in the whole movie.  An unforgettable gag and also a terrific primer for the type of hijinks that are about to ensue.



My Rating: 5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment